600 East Mariposa Steet, Altadena, CA 91001, (626) 798-0833
All visual artists, 18 and over can apply to participate in this juried event. You may host the event in your own home or studio if within our Location Boundaries: All of Altadena, and the areas of Pasadena between the 210 Freeway on the West and South, and Altadena Dr. on the East. (North is Altadena.) You don’t need to reside in the location boundaries to be eligible. We are limiting the number of artist’s locations for June’s Tour. By being accepted into the June tour you will be required to participate in other Open Studios events and activities; artists meetings, reception, art exhibit. The Silent Auction is optional.
Open Studios will help place you or you may choose to show at a location on the tour with mutual consent. We are an all-volunteer organization, and the event attracts a very engaged audience. Artists conduct their own sales, so there are no commission fees, and you choose how to best showcase your art. Some studios have live music, demonstrations, and other fun events.
Open Studios was voted Altadena’s 2016 Business of the Year by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce, and is gaining recognition, improving, and growing with each event. Come join us!
If you are considering your studio as a location on the tour and you are planning on inviting a non-visual artist (musician, band, food entrepreneur, poet and/or spoken word) to your location on the Open Studios Tour, you must accept full responsibility upon doing so. They won’t be considered a participating artist, or be insured.
We must receive your completed application along with full payment by the due date. Due dates are strictly adhered to.
• Inclusion on our website and all social media platforms of your artwork photo and your profile information.
• Media and print campaign exposure. Our print campaign includes 7” x 11” Guidebook and Artist Catalog, brochures, posters, and postcards.
• Opening Reception, Friday, May 24th 6pm to 9pm, and a curated exhibit at the Altadena Library prior to the tour weekend that is free and open to the public.
• The opportunity to take advantage of the “Artists Portfolio Page” feature on the Open Studios website. It consists of 12 images, a headshot, and bio/artist statement. This page is entirely optional and only available to participating artists at the promotional price of the $80 design fee. It will link from the regular Artist page, and be hosted for one year. Afterwards, a yearly hosting fee of $30 will apply to renew your page.
View Portfolio Page.
• Open Studios Event Signage: Lawn signs provided, and to be returned to Open Studios Tour coordinators after event.
• Liability Insurance against damages caused by artwork to visitors. (It is recommended that you obtain other liability insurance on your homeowner’s policy for the event dates if you don’t have one for your business.)
Fees: Total amount for participating is $70, which includes:
• $20 Non-refundable Application Fee, due at submission.
• $50 Entry Fee if selected, due by March 17th, the first All Artists Meeting.
We can’t function without fees, as we are funded by participation fees, and some advertising only.
• Attendance is required at All-Artists Meetings.
• Locations and Artists must be open and present both days of the tour during the specified times.
If your studio is chosen as a location you must limit the exhibition to your own work and the work of other Open Studio participating artists. There is a maximum of 6 artists per location, including host. We are encouraging grouping up. If you would like another artist/artists to show at your location, they must apply by the deadline, and be approved by the jury.
Volunteers will be needed. Please let the admin team know if you are interested. There will be a sign-up at the first All Artists Meeting.
• Distribution of printed materials and promotion of the event on Social Media platforms. (See promotion for details)
• A location visit by the Admin Team may be required prior to approval, to ensure a safe environment for our visitors. Photos may be taken at the time for publicity, and any photos supplied by you may be used for publicity, exception being consent for headshots.
If applying to be a location for the first time your approval will be based on:
• Your ability to host other artists and you have a studio or space open to visitors.
• Each location should be “an experience” for the visitors.
If chosen; you will be the host, a team leader and planner for the success for your location. Please be prepared to upload a photo of your planned exhibition space.
• February 28, 2019: Completed Applications and $20 non-refundable submission fee due.
• March 11, 2019: Jury selection and Artist notification.
• March 17, 2019: Agreement and full payment of the entry fees must both be received by the date due. If the participation agreement and/or the fees are not submitted by deadline, your application will NOT be considered; $20 submission fee is non-refundable.
All meetings will be held at 11:00am to 1:00pm at the Altadena Community Garden located at 3330 N Lincoln Ave. Altadena, CA 91001, unless otherwise notified via email prior to date.
Sunday, March 17th:
This is a great opportunity to meet and mingle with fellow artists.
• Library event update: Open Studios Artist exhibit, reception and auction.
• Volunteer sign-up will be available.
• Q &A
• Completed Participation Forms and entry fees are due. THIS IS THE LAST DAY FOR BOTH TO BE INCLUDED IN THE 2019 TOUR. Please bring cash or check.
Sunday, April 14th:
• A tutorial on the use of social media platforms
• Updates of tour events will be provided
• Tour events possibilities shared and discussed
• Q & A
Sunday, May 5th:
• Printed materials will be distributed–guidebooks, postcards, brochures with maps
• Loans distributed: lawn-signs and hardware
• Planned events discussed
• Q & A7
• Have your Artist Statement/ Bio, 50 words minimum and 100 words maximum, ready to copy and paste into the form. This will be used by the Selection Committee in evaluating your artwork, printed in the Guidebook, and posted on Facebook. It could be about your inspirations, your process, your technique, or arts background. Please include any Art Affiliations at the end, for example: Member of the Pasadena Society of Artists, or Arroyo Arts Collective, etc.
For help, this site is great: https://www.gyst-ink.com/artist-statement/
• Have your 3 artwork photos, and mandatory headshot or studio shot ready to upload. (headshot will be used with consent only)
• Follow the Photo Technical Specifications and Naming Rules below carefully before applying.
Please submit up to 3 RECENT images that best represent your artwork/craft. (Have these named and ready to upload before starting application.)
• File Type: JPEG or JPG only. No other file formats are accepted.
Have photos at the correct orientation (right-side up, not rotated), cropped to, or closely to, the artwork (no distracting or unattractive backgrounds please) and with good lighting. (*When compressing in Photoshop, use the “Very High Quality” or “High Quality” setting, not Medium, unless it will exceed the 4 MB limit.) If you don’t have an image processing application, you can use free online ones like https://www.befunky.com/create/resize-image/.
• File Dimensions: 1,500 pixels or greater on the longest side. Do not resize up to a larger size, as this degrades the image quality.
• File Size: Maximum of 4 MB. per image. File size can be smaller, but no less than 950 KB.
• ARTWORK File Name: “last name_first name_number_ title.jpg.” Example: “Gothard_Patrick_1_Sunset.jpg” (#1 indicating your preferred choice for print, although others might be chosen.)
• HEADSHOT File Name: Full Name.
• STUDIO File Name: Full Name plus Studio, i.e. “Patrick Gothard Studio.”
Please name your photos BEFORE uploading. You cannot rename them on the form.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Open Studios Admin Team at: email@example.com, and one of the team members will follow-up as needed.
General Tour Inquiries – Email Mary Gothard, Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Artist Liaison – Nina Ehilg
Email email@example.com or, call: 626-840-7733
You will receive a flyer about this event so you can share it with your network. In the meantime, please share this event on social media with the hashtag #openstudiosaltapasa and #openstudiosgalleryreception and #comecuriousleaveinspired