Opening Reception: Altadena Library,
Friday, May 24th 6pm to 9pm.
600 East Mariposa Steet, Altadena, CA 91001, (626) 798-0833
Open Studios Tour: Sat. June 1st 11am – 5 pm, and
Sun. June 2nd Noon – 6pm
Application Deadline Has Passed
All Artists Call for Artwork
Altadena Library, 600 Mariposa, Altadena
Delivery to the Main Library Room
· Artist donation registration deadline is Tuesday April 30th by 4PM.
Form link is here: Open Studios Library Show 2019
· Artist Drop-off for Library Showing May 4th, 1PM thru 3:30PM.
· The artwork size limit is 24×24 inches.
· Artist artwork pickup Saturday June 29th 1PM thru 3:30PM.
All Artists Meetings:
All meetings will be held at 11:00am to 1:00pm at the Altadena Community Garden located at 3330 N Lincoln Ave. Altadena, CA 91001, unless otherwise notified via email prior to date.
Sunday, March 17th:
This is a great opportunity to meet and mingle with fellow artists.
• Library event update: Open Studios Artist exhibit, reception and auction.
• Volunteer sign-up will be available.
• Q &A
• Completed Participation Forms and entry fees are due. THIS IS THE LAST DAY FOR BOTH TO BE INCLUDED IN THE 2019 TOUR. Please bring cash or check.
Sunday, April 14th:
• A tutorial on the use of social media platforms
• Updates of tour events will be provided
• Tour events possibilities shared and discussed
• Q & A
Sunday, May 5th:
• Printed materials will be distributed–guidebooks, postcards, brochures with maps
• Loans distributed: lawn-signs and hardware
• Planned events discussed
• Q & A7
All visual artists, 18 and over can apply to participate in this juried event. You may host the event in your own home or studio if within our Location Boundaries: All of Altadena, and the areas of Pasadena between the 210 Freeway on the West and South, and Altadena Dr. on the East. (North is Altadena.) You don’t need to reside in the location boundaries to be eligible. We are limiting the number of artist’s locations for June’s Tour. By being accepted into the June tour you will be required to participate in other Open Studios events and activities; artists meetings, reception, art exhibit. The Silent Auction is optional.
Open Studios will help place you or you may choose to show at a location on the tour with mutual consent. We are an all-volunteer organization, and the event attracts a very engaged audience. Artists conduct their own sales, so there are no commission fees, and you choose how to best showcase your art. Some studios have live music, demonstrations, and other fun events.
Open Studios was voted Altadena’s 2016 Business of the Year by the Altadena Chamber of Commerce, and is gaining recognition, improving, and growing with each event. Come join us!
If you are considering your studio as a location on the tour and you are planning on inviting a non-visual artist (musician, band, food entrepreneur, poet and/or spoken word) to your location on the Open Studios Tour, you must accept full responsibility upon doing so. They won’t be considered a participating artist, or be insured.
We must receive your completed application along with full payment by the due date. Due dates are strictly adhered to.
Total amount for participating is $70, which includes:
• $20 Non-refundable Application Fee, due at submission.
• $50 Entry Fee if selected, due by March 17th, the first All Artists Meeting.
We can’t function without fees, as we are funded by participation fees, and some advertising only.
Participation Benefits Include:
• Inclusion on our website and all social media platforms of your artwork photo and your profile information.
• Media and print campaign exposure. Our print campaign includes 7” x 11” Guidebook and Artist Catalog, brochures, posters, and postcards.
• Opening Reception, Friday, May 24th 6pm to 9pm, and a curated exhibit at the Altadena Library prior to the tour weekend that is free and open to the public.
• The opportunity to take advantage of the “Artists Portfolio Page” feature on the Open Studios website. It consists of 12 images, a headshot, and bio/artist statement. This page is entirely optional and only available to participating artists at the promotional price of the $80 design fee. It will link from the regular Artist page, and be hosted for one year. Afterwards, a yearly hosting fee of $30 will apply to renew your page.
View Portfolio Page.
• Open Studios Event Signage: Lawn signs provided, and to be returned to Open Studios Tour coordinators after event.
• Liability Insurance against damages caused by artwork to visitors. (It is recommended that you obtain other liability insurance on your homeowner’s policy for the event dates if you don’t have one for your business.)
• Attendance is required at All-Artists Meetings.
• Locations and Artists must be open and present both days of the tour during the specified times.
If your studio is chosen as a location you must limit the exhibition to your own work and the work of other Open Studio participating artists. There is a maximum of 6 artists per location, including host. We are encouraging grouping up. If you would like another artist/artists to show at your location, they must apply by the deadline, and be approved by the jury.
Volunteers will be needed. Please let the admin team know if you are interested. There will be a sign-up at the first All Artists Meeting.
• Distribution of printed materials and promotion of the event on Social Media platforms. (See promotion for details)
• A location visit by the Admin Team may be required prior to approval, to ensure a safe environment for our visitors. Photos may be taken at the time for publicity, and any photos supplied by you may be used for publicity, exception being consent for headshots.
If applying to be a location for the first time your approval will be based on:
• Your ability to host other artists and you have a studio or space open to visitors.
• Each location should be “an experience” for the visitors.
If chosen; you will be the host, a team leader and planner for the success for your location. Please be prepared to upload a photo of your planned exhibition space.
• February 28, 2019: Completed Applications and $20 non-refundable submission fee due.
• March 11, 2019: Jury selection and Artist notification.
• March 17, 2019: Agreement and full payment of the entry fees must both be received by the date due. If the participation agreement and/or the fees are not submitted by deadline, your application will NOT be considered; $20 submission fee is non-refundable.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Open Studios Admin Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org, and one of the team members will follow-up as needed.
General Tour Inquiries – Email Mary Gothard, Chairperson: email@example.com
Artist Liaison – Nina Ehilg
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or, call: 626-840-7733
You will receive a flyer about this event so you can share it with your network. In the meantime, please share this event on social media with the hashtag #openstudiosaltapasa and #openstudiosgalleryreception and #comecuriousleaveinspired
Follow us on social media for all related posts.